Full Professor at University of Florence
Head of RCL Group
Dipartimento di Matematica e Informatica
viale Morgagni, 65
50134 - Firenze, Italy
Phone: +39 055 2751481
Via B. Gigli n. 27
56021 - Cascina (PI), Italy
Phone :+39 3294309838
Andrea Bondavalli is a Full Professor of Computer Science at the University of Firenze. Previously he has been a researcher and a senior researcher of the Italian National Research Council, working at the CNUCE Institute in Pisa. His research activity is focused on Dependability and Resilience of critical systems and infrastructures. In particular he has been working on safety, security, fault tolerance, evaluation of attributes such as reliability, availability and performability. His scientific activities have originated more than 220 papers appeared in international Journals and Conferences. Andrea Bondavalli supports as an expert the European Commission in the selection and evaluation of project proposals and regularly consultes companies in the application field. Andrea Bondavalli led various national and European projects such as the Italian MIUR PRIN “DOTS-LCCI" and "TENACE" and the European projects ESPRIT BRA 3092 PDCS, 6362 PDCS-2, ESPRIT 20716 GUARDS, ESPRIT 27439 HIDE, IST-FP6-STREP-26979 HIDENETS, TST5-CT-2006-031413 SAFEDMI e FP7 – 216295 CA AMBER, FP7 SST-2008-234088 ALARP, the ARTEMIS-2012-1-333053 “CONCERTO” and thePOR CReO 2007-2013, linea di intervento 1.5.a - 1.6 “SECURE”. Now is leading the FP7-ICT-2013-10-610535 “AMADEOS” (coordinator), the FP7-PEOPLE-2012-IAPP-324334 “CECRIS” (Coordinator), the PIRSES-GA-2013-612569 “DEVASSES”. Andrea Bondavalli participates to(and has been chairing) the program committee in several International Conferences such as IEEE FTCS, IEEE SRDS, EDCC, IEEE HASE, IEEE ISORC, IEEE ISADS, IEEE DSN, SAFECOMP. He is the chair of the Steering Committees of IEEE SRDS and a member of the editorial board of the International Journal of Critical Computer-Based Systems. Andrea Bondavalli is a member of the IEEE, the IFIP W.G. 10.4 Working Group on "Dependable Computing and Fault-Tolerance".
Andrea Bondavalli was born in Reggio Emilia on novembre 26, 1960. Married with Rosaria Esposito. Three children: Matilde, Ludovica and Lorenzo. Italian citizen. URL WebServ http://rcl.dsi.unifi.it
• 1986: Diploma di Laurea in Computer Science - University of Pisa
• 1987: CNR Fellowship in TECNOLOGIA DELLA INFORMAZIONE Progetto RETI DI CALCOLATORI awarded at CNR-CNUCE.
• April 91 - February 92: CNR - N.A.T.O. Advanced Fellowship Program in Computer Science and Technology hosted by the Computing Laboratory - University of Newcastle upon Tyne (UK) – supervisor Prof. Brian Randell
December 2015- present: Full Professor INF/01 University of Florence
- February 2000- November 2015 Associate Professor INF/01 University of Florence
- 2007-2010 Associate Researcher at CNR- ISTI
- August 2005: visiting professor Budapest University of Technology and Economics visiting Prof. Andras Pataricza
- 2003-2006 external collaborator at CNR- ISTI
- February 2002: Visiting Professor, EPFL, Lausanne (CH)- Prof. Andrè Schiper.
- 2000-2002 external collaborator at CNR- CNUCE
- March 1999 – January 2000 ‘Primo Ricercatore’ at CNUCE - CNR
- November 1988 - March 1999 ‘Collaboratore Tecnico Professionale’ and then ‘Ricercatore’ at CNUCE Institute of the Italian CNR.
- April 91 - February 92: Guest member of Staff, Computing Laboratory Universiy of Newcastle upon Tyne (UK) in the group of Prof. Brian Randell.
In the academic year 2015-2016 Andrea Bondavalli teaches:
- ‘Architetture degli Elaboratori’ (computer Architectures) of the 1st level degree in Computer Science
- ‘Analisi Quantitativa dei Sistemi’, fundamental course for the 2nd level degree in Computer Science
- ‘Sistemi Critici e Real Time’, for the 2nd level degree in Computer Science
Book for the course "Analisi Quantitativa di Sistemi (AQS)"
• A. Bondavalli (ed.), "L'analisi Quantitativa dei Sistemi Critici", Esculapio Bologna, 2011 http://www.editrice-esculapio.com/index.php/bondavalli-analisi-quantitativa-dei-sistemi-critici/ ISBN: 8874884311
• A. Bondavalli, S. Boukenak, H. Kopetz (Eds.) Systems of Systems - The AMADEOS BOOK,
. Springer, to be published by November 2016
Dependable and Resilient computing; Embedded Real-time systems, Cyber Physical Systems, Systems of Systems; Critical Infrastructure protection, Safety, Cyber Security, Verification&Validation, Quantitative evaluation and assessment of QoS.
Currently Andrea Bondavalli is scientific responsible and principal investigator of the following research and industrial projects
• PIRSES-GA-2013-612569 (FP7-PEOPLE) “DEVASSES: DEsign, Verification and VAlidation of large scale, dynamic Service SystEmS”
• FP7-ICT-2013-10-610535 “AMADEOS: Architecture for Multi-criticality Agile Dependable Evolutionary Open System-of-Systems” (coordinator)
• FP7-PEOPLE-2012-IAPP-324334 “CECRIS: CErtification of CRItical Systems” (Coordinator)
• JPI Urban Europe 2nd Joint Call 2013- 4211064 IRENE: Improving the Robustness of Urban Electricity Networks
Moreover he has been scientific responsible and principal investigator of the following research and industrial projects
• ARTEMIS-2012-1-333053 “CONCERTO: Guaranteed Component Assembly with Round Trip Analysis for Energy Efficient High-integrity Multi-core Systems”
• MIUR PRIN 2010-11 " TENACE: Protezione delle Infrastrutture Critiche Nazionali da Minacce Cibernetiche“
• POR CReO 2007-2013, linea di intervento 1.5.a - 1.6 “SECURE!: Smart platform based on crowdsourcing and crowdsensing technologies for safety and for the management of crisis and emergencies”
• ARTEMIS-2008-1-100022 CHESS Composition with Guarantees for High-integrity Embedded Software Components Assembly
• EU FP7-SST-2008-RTD-1-234088 ALARP—A railway automatic track warning system based on distributed personal mobile terminals
• MIUR PRIN 2008 "DOTS-LCCI: ‘Sistemi Middleware affidabili per le infrastrutture critiche basate su componenti off-the-shelf’
• 2009-2011 SILFI (Sistema Intelligente per la Lotta al Fuoco Integrata) Toscany Region BANDO UNICO R&S, anno 2008 – Linea di attività B (POR CREO, Attività 1.5)
• 2008-2011 EU FP7-ICT-2007.8.6-231167 CONNECT Emergent Connectors for Eternal Software Intensive Networked Systems
• 2008-2010 EU IST-2007-FP7-CA-216295 AMBER (Assessing, Measuring and Benchmarking Resislience).
• 2006-2009 EU IST-FP6-STREP-26979 HIDENETS (HIghly DEpendable ip-based NETworks and Services). http://www.hidenets.aau.dk/
• 2006-2009 EU IST-2004-27513 CRUTIAL (CRitical Utility InfrastructurAL Resilience). http://crutial.cesiricerca.it/
• 2006-2008 EU TST5-CT-2006-031413 SAFEDMI (Safe Driver Machine Interface (DMI) for ERTMS automatic train control). http://www.safedmi.org/
• 2005-2006 Research Contracts between the DSI Department of the University of Florence and SELEX Communications S.P.A
• 2005-2006 Analisi e Tuning di Protocolli con NekoStat Research Contract between the DSI Department of the University of Florence and Ansaldo Segnalamento Ferroviario
• 2002- 2005 EU IST-2001-38229 CAUTION++ - Capacity and network management platform for increased utilization of wireless systems of next generation++.
• 2002- 2004 ARGENTO - Architettura generica, sicura e real-time per applicazioni ferroviarie Research Contract between the DSI Department of the University of Florence and Ansaldo Segnalamento Ferroviario.
• 2002-2003 INTEGRA: ANALISI DELLE ARCHITETTURE VITALI Research Contract between the DSI Department of the University of Florence and Ansaldo Segnalamento Ferroviario
• 2002-2003 MURST Project: Strumenti, Ambienti e Applicazioni Innovative per la Societa' dell'Informazione , SOTTOPROGETTO 4: Architetture Software ad Alta Qualita' di Servizio per Global Computing su Cooperative Wide Area Networks
• 2001-2003 'Dependability Evaluation of Object-Oriented Systems (DEVOS) Research Bilateral Project between CNUCE and the Technical University of Budapest (Hungary) funded by the Italian Foreign Ministry.
• 2000-2001 'Disponibilita' di Sistemi per reti wireless financed by MOTOROLA ITALIA
• 1999-2000 Supporto alle analisi quantitative della sicurezza secondo le metodologie proposte in ambito GUARDS. Research Contract between CNUCE-CNR and Ansaldo Segnalamento Ferroviario
• 1999 progetto “Sistemi in tempo reale cooperativi dependeble” - DECOR, in the cooperation framework between CNR and GMD.
• 1998 ` ESPRIT LTR 27439 HIDE (High-level Integrated Design Environment for Dependability).
• 1996-1999` ESPRIT 20716 'GUARDS' (Generic Upgradable Architecture for Real-Time Dependable Systems).
• 1997 National Coordinator del of the CNR projetc del Comitato 12 'Scienze e tecnologie dell'informazione' del CNR Progettazione ed analisi di Sistemi di Elaborazione con elevati requisiti di Dependability - PASDEP.
• 1994-1996. project ‘Coordinato’ del Comitato 12 'Scienze e tecnologie dell'informazione' del CNR “Metodologie, architetture, ambienti di progetto e valutazione per sistemi di elaborazione distribuiti.”
• 1993. project ‘speciale’ of the CNR “Ambienti di sviluppo e architetture per la realizzazione di sistemi di elaborazione distribuiti”
• 1992- 1995 ESPRIT BRA 6362 'PDCS-2'(Predictably Dependable Computing Systems 2).
COOPERATION WITH INDUSTRIES AND PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
Andrea Bondavalli has long cooperation relationships with industries and other public organizations (as the European Commission) and professional organizations. This cooperation develops through activities such as participation to proposal selection committees, project monitoring and revision, and participation to consultation panels for the definition of research programmes, participation to standardization committees and lastly as industrial consultant.
In addition Andrea Bondavalli has promoted the establishment of a startup company “ResilTech S.r.l.”, which performs consulting activities in design and V&V for critical systems (he is acting as consultant for the strategy for the research activities). Resiltech s.r.l., founded in the last quarter of 2007, has now about 25 employees and collaborator . ResilTech is an academic SPINOFF of the University of Florence. http://www.resiltech.com/
• 2015 Expert for the Eurpean Commission for the selection of project proposals in H2020 (ICT, Security)
• 2008-2012 Expert for the Eurpean Commission for the selection of project proposals in the 7th framework (ICT, Trust&Security; Embedded Systems)
• 2012- Expert for the Romanian National Council for Research and Development, -- evaluator for Partnership Programme - Joint Applied Research Projects - PCCA 2011.
• 2010 Expert for the evaluation of project proposals for the Division for Physical Sciences of the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research - peer review for research proposals submitted to the Innovational Research Incentives Scheme within the scope of the Vidi Scheme.
• 2010-current Expert for the Eurpean Commission for the evaluation and assessment of the TERESA project
• 2005-2007 Esperto della Eurpean Commission for the selection of project proposals in the 6th framework (ICT, Trust&Security; Embedded Systems)
• 2004 Consultant of the EEIG ERTMS Users Group for the evaluation and comparison of two standard proposals for the safe interface RBC-RBC and final selection (in the framework of the European standardization framework for the High Speed railway).
• 2001-2004 Expert for the Eurpean Commission for the evaluation and assessment of the DBench and SAFEPC projects
• 1994 - 2000 representative of CNUCE-CNR in the scientific council of PDCC (Pisa Dependable Computing Center).
Andrea Bondavalli has been part of the Boards of the Doctoral schools :
2016: Università di FIRENZE "MATEMATICA, INFORMATICA, STATISTICA - Ciclo: 32
2015: Università di FIRENZE "MATEMATICA, INFORMATICA, STATISTICA - Ciclo: 31
2014: Università di FIRENZE "MATEMATICA, INFORMATICA, STATISTICA - Ciclo: 30
2013: Università di FIRENZE "MATEMATICA, INFORMATICA, STATISTICA" - Ciclo: 29
2012: Università di PISA Titolo: "INFORMATICA" - Ciclo: XXVIII
2009: Università di FIRENZE: "INFORMATICA ED APPLICAZIONI" Ciclo: XXV
Andrea Bondavalli has been one of the directors of
-Winter School: “Hot Topics in Secure and Dependable Computing for Critical Infrastructures”, Jan. 15-19 2012, Cortina D'Ampezzo, Italy
-SecureCI2016 “Winter School: Securing Critical Infrastructures” January 17th - 21st, Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy
Currently Andrea Bondavalli is the Advisor of the PhD students
• Tommaso Zoppi - Matematica, Informatica, Statistica - Universita di Firenze
• Enrico Schiavone - Matematica, Informatica, Statistica - Universita di Firenze
He has been advisor of
• Ivan Mura - Computer Engineering - University of Pisa
• Andrea Coccoli - Computer Engineering - University of Pisa);
• Domenico Cotroneo - Computer Engineering – University of Napoli Federico II;
• Stefano Porcarelli - Computer Engineering – University of Pisa ;
• Paolo Lollini - Computer Science – University of Firenze ;
• Lorenzo Falai - Computer Engineering - University of Firenze;
• Alessandro Daidone - Computer Science - University of Firenze;
• Francesco Brancati - Computer Science - University of Firenze;
• Andrea Ceccarelli – Computer Engineering - University of Firenze
• Leonardo Montecchi - Computer Engineering - University of Firenze
• Nicola Nostro - - Computer Engineering - University of Firenze
He has been a member of the PhD juries:
• Mourad Rabah - L'Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse 2000;
• Claudia Betous-ALMEIDA - L'Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse - 2002;
• Peter Urban - L'Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne - 2003;
• Stefan Schemmer - University of Magdeburg - 2004;
• Marco Paulo Amorim Vieira - Universidade de Coimbra - Portugal- 2005;
• Ilir Gashi, Centre for Software Reliability, City University London United Kingdom - 2007;
• Thibault Renier - Aalborg University - 2008;
• Anders Nickelsen - Aalborg University - 2010;
• ERLING Matthiesen Aalborg University 2012
• Nuno Laranjero presso La Universidade de Coimbra - Portugal- 2012
• Nuno Antunes - Universidade de Coimbra - Portugal- 2014
He hosted in his research group for long term visits several colleagues and post-docs
- Edgar Nett
- Hans Peter Schwefel
- Andras Pataricza
- Istvan Majzik
- Henrique Madeira
- Marco Vieira
- Cecilia Rubira
- Ariadne de Carvalho
Andrea Bondavalli held the following Keynote Speeches
• “HIDENETS: Highly DEpendable ip-based NETworks and Services” a ‘ The Inaugural International Workshop on Dependability in Service-oriented Grids’ associato a IEEE SRDS-25 Leeds Oct. 2005.
• “Model based resilience assessment of critical information infrastructures” a SAFECOMP 2011 Naples, Italy 19 / 21 September 2011
• “ALARP- A railway automatic track warning system based on distributed personal mobile terminals” a ‘Workshop on Dependable and Secure Computing for Large-scale Complex Critical Infrastructures (DESECLCCI) ‘ associato a Safecomp 2012, Magdeburg, sept. 2012.
• “Dependability modeling and analysis methods integrated in model-driven industrial architectural frameworks” a ‘ The International Workshop on Model-Based Design for Cyber-Physical System (MB4CP 2015)’ associato a DSN2015, Rio de Janeiro, June 2015.
SCIENTIFIC EDITORIAL BOARDS
Andrea Bondavalli is a member of the editorial board of the International Journal of Critical Computer-Based Systems-IJCCBS. Inderscience publisher; ISSN online: 1757-8787, ISSN print: 1757-8779
• IEEE Transactions on Computers, Special issue on 'Reliable distributed Systems'
• IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, Special issue on 'DSN-DCCS05'
STEERING COMMITTEE OF INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES
• SRDS- IEEE Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems MEMBER since 2006 and CHAIR for the term 2012-2015
• LADC- Latin-American Dependable Computing Conference MEMBER from 2007 to 2012
• SRDS-22 - 22nd IEEE Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (2003)
• Safecomp-33- 33rd International Conference on Computer Safety, Reliability and Security(2014)
• DSN-04 - IEEE International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (2004)
• HASE-05 - 10th IEEE International High Assurance Systems Engineering Symposium (2005)
• “International Workshop on Resilience Assessment and Dependability Benchmarking” (RADB08) associated to DSN08 The 38th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks " Anchorage, Alaska, USA, June 2008.
• The second workshop on Sharing Field Data and Experiment Measurements on Resilience of Distributed Computing Systems (RDSC ,2010), In conjunction with IEEE ICDCS 2010, Genoa Italy June 2010.
DSN-09 - IEEE International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (2009)
• SRDS-19 - 19th IEEE Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (2000)
• HASE'01 - 6th IEEE International High Assurance Systems Engineering Symposium (2001)
• EDCC-4 - 4th European Dependable Computing Conference (2002)
• ISADS'03 - 6th IEEE International Symposium on Autonomous Decentralized Systems (2003)
• DSN'05 - IEEE International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks - DCC track(2005)
• LADC 07 - 3rd Latin-American Dependable Computing Conference(2007)
• Safecomp-33- 33rd International Conference on Computer Safety, Reliability and Security(2014)
PROGRAM COMMITTEE MEMBER: (NOT COMPLETE)
• FTCS - IEEE International Symposium on Fault-Tolerant Computing Systems (1996, 1997, 1998)
• DSN - IEEE International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks - DCC Track and PDS Track 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
• SRDS - IEEE Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007)
• EDCC - European Dependable Computing Conference (1996, 1999, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2016)
• LADC - Latin-American Dependable Computing Conference (2003, 2005, 2001)
• SAFECOMP - International Conference on Computer Safety, Reliability and Security (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016)
• ISORC - IEEE International Symposium on Object-oriented Real-time Distributed Computing (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2008)
• HASE - IEEE International Conference on High Assurance Systems Engineering (1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014)
• ISADS -IEEE International Symposium on Autonomous Decentralized Systems (1999, 2005)
• WORDS - IEEE International Workshop on Object-oriented Real-time Dependable Systems (2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007)
• ISAS International Service Availability Symposium (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007)
• EWDC - European Workshop on dependable Computing (1994, 1997,1999)
• WADS - Workshop on Architecting Dependable Systems (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007)
• ACM SAC - DADS track (2010, 2012, 2013, 2016)
• DCCS'94 - 12th IFAC Workshop on Distributed Computer Control Systems (1994)
• FTDCS-97 - IEEE Intl. Workshop on Future Trends of Distributed Computing Systems (1997)
• IFIP DAIS 2015 - 15th IFIP International Conference on Distributed Applications and Interoperable Systems (2015, 2016)
• ISSRE - IEEE International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (2016)
Andrea Bondavalli is a member of
• the IFIP Working Group 10.4 on DEPENDABLE COMPUTING AND FAULT TOLERANCE (from 2000)
• The IEEE Computer Society and the IEEE (from 1996)
He has published more than 230 papers ; more of 45 of which in prestigious International journals and 150 papers in international referred conferences and workshops.
Lists ( almost complete) of his papers , besides the institutional website FLORE
can be found on
The Web site of the RCL group: http://rcl.dsi.unifi.it/index.php?option=com_jresearch&;view=publicationslist&task=list&modelkey=default
CITATIONS : Andrea Bondavalli has by august 2016
- Google Scholar: more than 3050 citations and an h-index of 27.
- SCOPUS: more than 1170 citations and an h-index of 17. (165 papers)